BASF Senior Counsel Opening
We have a great opportunity for Senior Counsel to join our team.
You will provide day-to-day regulatory advice and counseling to BASF’s Corporate and site EHS and manufacturing groups in areas of the environment (air, water, waste), occupational safety and industrial hygiene (OSHA), process safety (RMP and PSM), and transportation (DOT) including regulatory compliance and permitting as well as handle environmental litigation and administrative actions.
This position will report to the Associate General Counsel for Environmental, Health & Safety. As a Senior Counsel you create chemistry by…
- Providing strategic legal advice and guidance on all facets of EHS laws and regulations within the company as well as providing training to EHS community on all aspects of legal EHS issues.
- Handling compliance enforcement actions, including interacting with federal, state and local environmental, health and safety agencies.
- Representing BASF in defense of federal, state, and third-party environmental claims, including Superfund matters, by developing strategy to minimize potential liability in a responsible, efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Evaluating and negotiating allocation of EHS risk in acquisitions and divestitures and commercial agreements.
- Counseling Corporate Remediation and Real Estate functions in the investigation, remediation, and re-deployment of sites.
- Monitoring and advising EHS community of upcoming legislative and regulatory changes and supporting advocacy efforts as well as developing and improving compliance policies and procedures. • Contributing to BASF’s legal interaction with our trade associations.
- Working with outside counsel as needed and manage outside counsel spend in accordance with the Legal budget.
- Taking a leadership role in independently managing projects from beginning to end as well as reporting matters of significant risk to upper management.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Your formula for success…
- Law degree from an accredited institution with bar admission in at least one US state is required.
- 8 to 10 years of in-depth EHS statutory and regulatory legal experience in either a corporate or law firm setting is required.
- Proven experience identifying and implementing creative solutions and proactively identifying developments in EHS laws and developing practical real-world solutions to address the impact of such developments on BASF's business and risk allocation decisions. General understanding of corporate economics and requirements of accruing for environmental remediation liabilities is preferred.
- Broad legal knowledge with high degree of proficiency in understanding, interpreting, and applying complex federal and state EHS statutes, regulations, and governmental policies required
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills. Being a collaborative team player to solve problems effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously to meet critical deadlines.
- New Jersey location is preferred; potential for remote work will be considered.
You @ BASF
At BASF you get more than just compensation, Medical & Dental. Our total offer includes a wide range of elements you need to be your best in every stage of your life. That’s what we call you @BASF. Our Periodic Table of Benefits includes some additional perks below for starters…
Flexible Work Arrangements whenever possible Retirement Benefits Maternity/Paternity Leave, Infertility & Adoption reimbursement Mentoring & Development Programs Employee Discounts Pet insurance Matching Donations to your favorite cause Access to our BASF Wine Cellar
What are you waiting for? Click Apply now to BELONG@BASF!!
BASF is committed to pay transparency practices. Actual pay will be determine based on education, certifications, experience, and other job-related factor permitted by law.
BASF takes security & data privacy very seriously. Will we never request personal or financial information of any kind via e-mail, private text message or direct message on any social media platform or job board. Furthermore, we will never offer a remote position and send a candidate a check for equipment or request any type of payment during the job application process. If you have experienced any of the above, please contact myhrATbasf.com to report fraud.